Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Open up some space on your Flash Drive

It has been some time since I post the last guide. I had some trouble with my slug since then. I decided to add some additional USB ports to my slug. Unfortunately while opening the case I broke one of the capacitors on the board (My bad, I was careless). Anyway, I managed to replace it and slug is alive again :).
I installed the debian on the 1gb usb drive. Since then I had some problems with the available space. So how to open more space for new applications :)

1) Remove cached *.deb files
When we run apt-get command, it downloads and caches the package in /var/cache/apt/archives directory. So we can delete those to get some space...

# cd /var/cache/apt/archives
# du –ch
# rm –f *.deb


2) After installing anything with apt-get install, localepurge will remove all translation files and translated manpages in languages you cannot read. This can save you several megabytes of disk space, depending on the packages you have installed.
To configure localepurge edit : /etc/locale.nopurge

# apt-get install localepurge


3) Backup and remove old log files in /var/log/

Now, according to your configuration you should have at least 100MB of free space. Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment